Lightly spiced and lightly sweet, these soft ginger molasses cookies are the BEST. They’re super pretty and stack well, so they would be nice holiday gifts for neighbors or teachers! I make these every December just like my nana and mom did. Enjoy!
1 cup granulated sugar (plus more for topping)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 egg, room temp and beaten
1/4 cup molasses
3 cups flour (I always use bread flour, but use what you have)
3 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- cream butter and sugar until smooth, about 5 min.
- mix in egg and molasses
- add dry ingredients gradually until just combined
- scoop dough with a cookie scoop or tablespoon, roll into a ball in your hands first, then roll in granulated sugar (I put the sugar in a shallow bowl so it doesn’t get messy)
- bake on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes until cracked and golden.
- let cool for a few minutes on the tray… then eat warm!