We threw a birthday party for my 5-year-old Max’s teddy bear (as one does). We made mini layer cakes and a mini party hat for Teddy for the occasion! These pretty little cakes are more interesting than cupcakes but just as easy and delicious.
There are a couple different levels of easy to make the cake, and it only depends on the recipe.
- Use a boxed cake and frosting. This is the easiest way to go (duh) and turns out yummy every single time. Pillsbury white cake mix is my fav, and I used the egg yolks to give it the yellow color.
- This recipe is super simple and seriously delicious! You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry.
- The mega-boss recipe of them all from Milk Bar. The hardest, but the tastiest. I just got their new “All About Cake” cookbook, and I’ve been dreaming up all the truffle recipes I want to make!
Whichever one you choose…
* Mix in 1/4 cup of sprinkles to the batter.
* Spread it evenly in a rimmed sheet pan/jelly roll pan that’s been lined with parchment paper then top with more sprinkles
* Make sure to under bake it a little…start off with 10-12 minutes and keep checking!
* Once baked, let it cool for a few minutes, then lift the cake out of the pan by holding the ends of parchment paper and let it cool completely. I like to do this so that the cake doesn’t continue to bake in the hot pan.
* Using a 2″ round cookie cutter/biscuit cutter, cut out circles from the cake in rows. You should get 3 rows of 8, making 8 triple layer cakes or 12 double layer cakes.
* Frost in between the layers and on top. You could pipe it but I just used a knife, and it turned out just fine. Top with sprinkles!
PS. need that giant jug of sprinkles? Here’s the link!
I made these cakes for Max’s 1st birthday too! I used all egg whites so the cake turned out nice and white and tinted each layer of frosting different colors for a more festive look!
To make Teddy’s party hat, you can use THIS template but shrink it down majorly. I actually just eye balled it and hand cut- the widest part around 4.5″. Fringe a little tissue paper and tape inside the middle of the cone. Roll up and tape string inside.
I realize this is super unnecessary, but with all that’s going on in the news and the world right now, I wanted to do something to make someone happy. Max was VERY happy with the results, and informed me that Teddy was too. 🙂