Who’s dressing up as Eleven for Halloween? Well you’ll need an Eggo waffle purse to complete the look. Obviously.
This purse actually works!! You can open and close it- probably just put the essentials in there since it’s not too sturdy. It’s easy to make and will be the talk of your party! Don’t forget the bloody nose.
2. using double stick tape, secure the side of the box that you opened to get the waffles out.
3. cut the top off of the first box. You can leave a little border around it but you don’t need to.
4. cut all of the sides off of the second box. Keep the sides to reinforce the purse even more.
5. you have 4 flaps now. Line the insides of the BOTTOM and BACK flaps only with double stick tape. Make sure to leave the top two flaps without tape since that’s where the purse will open. I made that mistake if you can’t tell by the torn cardboard!
6. stick the second box to the first using the tape. Bottom to bottom, back to back. Again the top two flaps should remain tape-free.
7. reinforce the flap of the second box to the first box with clear packing tape. For extra security and some shine, you can line the whole inside flap with tape.
8. For the chain…since your hole punch probably isn’t strong enough to punch a hole through three layers, you’ll need to go one layer at a time. Punch a hole on each side of the box about an inch down from the top. Depending on size of the chain attachments, you may have to make a couple slits on either side of the hole like I did, but you can’t really see it. Using double stick tape, attach the extra sides from the second box on top of the first box sides to make it sturdier. Line up your hole punch and punch a hole through the new side. Put clear packing tape on the inside of the box sides and punch a hole through that. Now you should have three layers (two box layers and one tape layer) all lined up.
9. Now you can thread your purse chain through and attach it to itself. You can adjust the chain strap at this point. Link to purchase the chain strap is below. This one is actually from clutch I own!
10. reinforce any or all sides on the inside of the box with clear tape if you want it to be really sturdy.
11. attach the velcro to the opening.
12. be the chicest Eleven at your Halloween party!
Please tag us on instagram @loveandlion in your costume photos!! We would love to see what you come up with!
Dustin, the most endearing character on Stranger Things!! As soon as he came on the screen I was like… bam. Halloween costume. If I had a girl you KNOW she would have been dressed up as Barb. Ummm anyone have a baby I can borrow?
My almost 3 year old, Max, kind of exudes Dustin’s personality. Silly, funny even when he doesn’t mean to be, totally into farts and chocolate pudding and thinking both are awesome… plus the curly hair! If only I had let it grow longer the past couple months! But hey, can’t plan everything.
Everything is linked at the bottom, but the key pieces here are the hat and shirt.
The hat is from Sweetgrly Designs and actually comes with the A.V. Club button! How nice is that? Love this Etsy shop! Lots of Stranger Things buttons, 70’s/80’s/90’s trading cards. She sent me a Back-to-the-Future card which I obviously love (see Ari’s Marty McFly costume here). Just tons of retro fun! The hat is adult size but fits Max just fine on the tightest setting.
The shirt is from Tattaaboo, retro clothing for all ages! They shipped super fast, so plenty of time for your Halloween costume. They come in adult sizes in case you want to adapt this for yourself!
I couldn’t find the exact jacket, so I layered a plaid shirt on top of this JACKET which is on sale now! I think any pants and sneaks would work. The tooth paint was the best part hahahaha! I’m still giggling about how it turned out, and I can’t believe it, but Max totally laid still while I painted it on there. It just brushes right off when you’re done. Add a backpack and flashlight, and you’re all set! Now to teach him some of Dustin’s famous quotes….
“She’s our friend, and she’s crazy!”
“Mike! I found the chocolate pudding!”
“Why are you keeping this curiosity door locked?”
“I told you a million times, my teeth are coming in. It’s called cleidocranial dysplasia.”
PS….Truth be told, Max will be trick-or-treating as a Ninja Turtle 🙂