I made some gift tags for my baby mama friends, and thought you all might want to use these too! The “impractical” tag was for Jenni when she had Remy. I got her a ring with an “R” on it… completely impractical like I said, BUT I mean, still fun. The “push it” tag would be fun for a push present! Oh Salt-N-Pepa… the best. And a push present would be really fun for the new mama.
We hope you guys are enjoying the holiday season. Leah and I are a bit under the weather, which is NO. FUN.
Okay, so wrapping gifts is one of our favorite tasks of the season. Most people loathe it, but we feel like if you buy beautiful wrap, gift toppers, ribbon and use these tips then you might actually ENJOY it. What!?!?! When Leah and I met ( working for our friend, Lauren, at her paper boutique) we were taught the skills to pay the bills by Lauren herself. We offered a professional gift wrapping service that saved a LOT of people from going insane over trying to wrap their gift themselves. Okay, they may not pay our bills, but they do make people envious of your beautifully wrapped gift at your holiday gift exchange. Whenever all of us girls get together, and there is gift giving involved, we almost care more about how it is wrapped vs. what is inside the box. True story! It is just in our blood now.
Here are our tips that we are passing on from one great wrapper to another…. YOU!
Get a great box that is sturdy and has a good shape.
-Wrap your gift in beautiful tissue and seal with pretty tape 🙂 Details people.
– Once your items are placed in the box, then fill all of the extra empty space with tissue paper. This helps your box not cave in when you are wrapping it. This is VERY important. The box structure is everything!!
-Roll out your wrap and lay your box in face down. Pull the edge of your wrapping roll to the center of your box and tape (using regular invisible tape). This is where your perfect seam will be.
– Then, pull the other side of the wrapping roll (the actual roll itself) over about a 1/2″ passed the seam you created, and cut.
– Now, turn your box (with the wrap attached) horizontally to where the untaped edge of the wrap is closest to you. Fold over to create a perfectly seamed line. Then, attach DOUBLE-SIDED tape to the inside of the wrap. In other words, put the tape right on the fold that you just created. We use about three strips to go along the width of the box.
– Now time to do the ends! Simply cut excess paper off so that your edges reach about half way down the side of the box. Any seam you are taping directly to the box can be adhered with regular tape. Any of the corners that you fold in and adhere to the paper itself should be taped with double-sided tape.
– Fold in all of your corners just like you would on a regular wrapping job. Remember to keep pulling tightly and doing intense folds to keep the wrap from “bubbling” around the box.
– Turn your gift right side up! We love to add “bands” around our gifts. They help make your pretty wrapping paper go further and adds interest. I chose an old wrap from last year to use as a band over the gold polka dots. Simply cut the band to size (width wise) and wrap it around the BACK of the box to where the ends of the band take up about a 1/4-1/2″ of each side of the back of the gift. We are alllllllll about the front!
– I opted for a sparkly ribbon with no bow ( as this gift is for my 16 year old girl cousin). Again, to save ribbon, I just wrapped the ribbon slightly around the edges to the back of the gift and taped it. Double stick tape is preferred here so that you don’t see it on the back of the ribbon, but regular tape seemed to hold this ribbon better.
– Choose your perfect gift tag. Don’t skimp on the gift tags!! They are fun and add that special touch to your already beautiful gift. Is it bad to say that we are NOT fans of sticker name tags on gifts???
Host a wrapping party, turn on a good holiday movie, or just grab a glass of champagne and get to wrapping!!! The investment in good boxes, pretty tissue, gift wrap and all of the pretty things that come after truly make the wrapping experience so much more fun! Also, receiving a beautifully wrapped gift can make the recipient feel all the more special.