You know when you’re eating something and every time you take a bite, you have to say how good it is? Even if you’re by yourself? Ooooooor is that just me? I think this crack chocolate salted toffee cracker will have you doing just that. Crunchy, rich, and sweet with a touch of salty. Since Passover starts Friday, we made ours with matzo, but you could certainly use Ritz crackers or Saltines.
Scroll down for the super simple recipe.
Rich bittersweet chocolate topped with fleur de sel
Sprinkles by Fancy Sprinkles!
This is the best baking investment you can make. I sprinkle this on every chocolate dessert I bake.
CHOCOLATE SALTED TOFFEE CRACK(ERS)
2 sticks unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
fleur de sel (or course sea salt)
6 sheets of matzo or your fav crackers
10 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
toppings – fleur de sel, toasted almonds, sprinkles, candy, peanut butter chips… the list goes on!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Cover tray with matzo, edge to edge.
3. Melt butter and sugar in a pan over medium heat til boiling. Boil 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and a large pinch of sea salt
4. Immediately pour over matzo and spread with an offset spatula. This will turn into a sea of bubbling toffee so it will sort of spread out naturally- don’t stress if it’s not perfect.
5. Bake 10 or so minutes until toffee is bubbly and brown. Watch or it will burn!
6. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Cover loosely with foil. After 5 minutes remove foil and spread the now-melted chocolate chips evenly over toffee. Sprinkle with your fav toppings.
7. Put the tray in the freezer for about 30 minutes until chocolate is hardened. Break into pieces and keep in a ziplock bag in the freezer. This will keep it from getting all melty… and hide it from view…
This is why I can’t peruse Pinterest when I’m hungry (which is all the time)! I find oohey gooey chocolaty caramely peanutbuttery goodness that I just want to bake and gobble up immediately. Here’s what’s on my to-bake list (not Jenni’s, because she’s a freak and doesn’t like dark chocolate. Can’t believe we’re friends)… it’s Fat Kid Friday: Chocolate Edition.
We saw these and thought… what can we do to make these even more fat-tastic? Hmmm let’s scrape the good stuff out, mix it with rice krispie treats, slap it back in between the cookie parts, dip it in chocolate, and drench it in sprinkles. OKAY!
Here’s the hardest part… try not to eat the oreo middles with your hands a spoon.
Cut circles out *while rice krispie treats are still warm and pliable* and smoosh in between oreo cookie halves
Dip in melting chocolate
Add sprinkles while chocolate is still soft if you want to make them festive!
Package these yummies up and spread the love!
NEXT LEVEL OREO RICE KRISPIE TREAT COOKIES
6 C Rice Krispie cereal
5 C mini marshmallows
3 TBSP unsalted butter
1 package Marshmallow Crispy Oreos
1 package candy making chocolate – we used Ghiradelli White Melting Wafers
1. Scrape the cream centers out of the Oreos and set aside- they peel right out! Save the cookie halves.
2. Make rice krispie treats: melt butter and marshmallows. Stir in cereal and Oreo cream centers.
3. Press mixture evenly into greased baking tray with greased spatula or parchment paper.
4. While treats are still a little warm and pliable, cut circle shapes out and set aside. We used an empty sprinkle container.
5. Smoosh rice krispie treat circles in between the Oreo cookie halves.
6. Melt chocolate in a double broiler/microwave and dip oreos. The cookies really don’t stay together well without the chocolate part! Dip the cookie in sprinkles while the chocolate is still warm and let cool completely.